Eligibility Criteria for Punjab Civil Services
Like every other civil service exam Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC) has set some eligibility criteria for the candidates appearing in the Civil services Exam. Details of the eligibility criteria are as follows:
A candidate shall be a:
- Citizen of India; or
- Citizen of Nepal; or
- Subject of Bhutan; or
- Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January. 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India; or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African countries of Kenya, Uganda and United Republic of Tanzania (formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar) Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India;
Provided that a candidate other than the candidates possessing Indian nationality shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Competent Authority as notified Punjab Civil Services General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994.
The candidate should have attained the age of 21 years but should not be older than 37 years.
A candidate should have attained the minimum age of 21 years and should not have attained the age of 28 years for the post of Deputy Superintendent Police in the Punjab Police Service.
- The upper age limit for a Punjab Government/Other State Government/ Central Government employee will be relaxed up to 47 years.
- The upper age limit prescribed above will be relaxed up to a maximum of five years for Schedules Castes and Scheduled Tribes of all States and Backward Classes of Punjab, except in the case of the posts of DSP.
- The upper age limit for widows, divorcees and certain other categories as per instructions issued by the Government of Punjab vide Letter No. 1/50/83-5PP(1368)/3454 dated 23-04-1984 of women of Punjab will be relaxed up to 42 years, except in the case of the posts of DSP.
- Age relaxation in upper age limit, upto 10 years is available to the disabled persons of Punjab, except in the case of the posts of DSP.
- An Ex-serviceman of Punjab domicile shall be allowed to deduct the period of his service in the Armed Forces of the Union from his actual age and if the resultant age does not exceed the maximum age limit prescribed for direct appointment to such a vacancy in the Service Rules concerned by more than three years, he shall be deemed to satisfy the condition regarding age limit.
The candidate should possess a bachelor degree in any discipline from a recognized university or institution; Provided that the candidate may be permitted to take preliminary examination while studying for the qualifying degree. However, the candidate shall be required to produce proof of qualifying the degree course for being eligible to take the Main Competitive Examination.
Physical standards for the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police:
Men – 5 feet 7 inches
Women – 5 feet 3 inches
Applicable for Men Only:
Unexpanded – 33 inches
Expanded – 34.5 inches
Number of Attempts:
- Unless covered by any of the exceptions, which may from time to time be notified by the Government in this behalf, every candidate appearing for the examination after the commencement of Punjab State Civil Services (Appointment by Combined Competitive Examination) Rules, 2009, shall be permitted to avail up to four attempts at the examination.
- For the purpose of this rule, an appearance of a candidate in the Preliminary Examination, shall be deemed to be an attempt at the examination.
- Ex-servicemen category candidates are permitted only three attempts at the Examination.